Monday, December 5, 2011

Born To Run ~ Christopher McDougall

Just completed my fifth marathon yesterday. This was the most taxing marathon that i have participated so far. Mainly due to the lack of training. The furthest training that i ran was 10 Km... 3 times a week. And i stopped running 3 weeks before my marathon. Mainly because I was down with flu and I seriously though of giving up this year marathon.

At the back of my mind, I know that without much training, our body may not be able to take the strain of the long race.  I know that can still complete the marathon, it is just how much pain I have to go through both during and AFTER the marathon.  And i seriously prayed to God, Buddha and the Universe to help me complete the marathon safe and sound...

Knowing that i did not clock enough mileage for my training, i constantly remind myself to feel and listen to my body, not to push myself over the limit.  Completing this year race will be good enough for me.  So in the end, i came in 6 hours and 30 minutes...

Got the chance to talk to my friend after the race.  We were chatting about our running gears and i got to know that he was running in Sandals! YES! he ran the marathon in Sandals.. you heard it correctly.  When i queried further, apparently, he read about the Rarámuri or Tarahumara (Native American people of northwestern Mexico) which running a marathon is like an usual affair.  I heard about the book "Born to Run" by Christoper McDougall being reviewed on radio before but did not really pay any attention to it.  Now that i have someone I really know review and highly recommend the book, I am going to get the book and read it... Gonna see how it is going to change my life....

Asian Parenting